Using a Cisco/Linksys SPA-504G with Asterisk and FreePBX
Below is a quick start guide for getting a Cisco/Linksys SIP handset up and running with Asterisk/FreePBX.
Both Linksys & Cisco phones have almost identical web admin setup pages but the layout and design differ slightly, setup procedures are identical for both.
Firstly plug the phone into the network via cat5 network cable (If you have 2 switch ports beneath the phone you want to use the port marked “SW”, don’t bother routing through the PC…it wont work well) and connect the power supply and plug in.
The phones get configured via a web interface, to do this you must first know the IP address of the phone. Shown below.
Summary pageAssuming that you have got the IP address correct you will see the summary page of your phone.
Look at the top right hand corner of the screen
- Click “Admin Login”
- Click “Advanced”
Only change what this document says, you don’t need to change anything else.
This is where you set your network settings, ALLWAYS SET THE PHONE WITH A STATIC IP.
Change the following.
- From DHCP to Static
- Set static IP address, whatever the address is in browser.
- Set gateway (IP address of your router)
- Netmask (255.255.255.0)
- Set Primary & Secondary DNS, use whatever you prefer, I use “Open DNS” – 22.214.171.124 & 126.96.36.199 but it doesn’t really matter which you use.
There is only one setting to change here, “RTP packet size”, the default setting for this is “0.030” it needs to be changed to “0.020”.
This page allows you to set the phone to your regional preference for dial tones, engaged tones, time and date etc., you only need to change 2 settings on this page
Reorder tone change from
Interdigit Long Timer Change from “10” to “5”
This is where you need to setup the extension that you wish the phone to use, to do this you must first have:
- Extension number
- Extension Password
- Name or IP of the server you are passing through.
- NAT mapping enable & NAT keep alive set to “YES”
- Proxy & Outbound Proxy – Your server address followed by “:5060” (Ask Lee for this)
- Use outbound proxy “Yes”
- Registry expires – set to 300 instead of 3600
- Display name can be whatever you like, its what shows on other phones in your network when you dial them.
- Password & User ID (Extension number)